Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Meet 7 New Faces of the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show





No matter how theatrical the runway stage may be, a Victoria’s Secret model is never lost in the glitz of grandiose effects. Unlike a standard fashion show, where the models’ guises are usually straight-faced, sans emotion, and the body movements can seem robotic, this event is just as much about the women as it is about the clothes.
What, then, does it take to make the cut and not exist only as a face, but join the ranks of Lily, Candice, and Lindsay? Here, get to know seven new personalities of this year’s Victoria’s Secret guard, ranging from Belgian beauty Yumi Lambert to all-American stunner Taylor Hill, all of whom can surely talk the talk and walk the walk—even when wearing next to nothing.



Stella Maxwell
Hails from:
Born in Belgium; grew up in the U.K. and New Zealand
@stellamaxwell
Meet the new #Instagirl in the making: Stella Maxwell. With more than 218,000 followers and counting, she is a pro when it comes to transfixing any lens, from professional camera to iPhone. And in person, she is just as mesmerizing. Arriving in an over-the-top Shrimps coat and beaming with confidence, the flaxen-haired and pouty 24-year-old already has a supermodel air about her. “Victoria’s Secret—they are a privilege to work for; they appreciate your beauty. I think they are one of the few companies that celebrate the girl for being the girl, they really use you as a brand and show you off,” says Maxwell. “Your personality counts for a lot and how you are to work with. Once you get to know them, it gets really comfortable—after all, at the end of the day, you are in your underwear.”



Yumi Lambert
Hails from:
Belgium
@yumilambert
With a wispy build, angular cheekbones, and a pair of arresting arctic green eyes, Yumi Lambert looks as if she hails from some remote Siberian village. Yet, the nineteen-year-old stunner is actually Belgian-born and a quarter Japanese. “My grandmother on my father’s side is Japanese,” says Lambert, in a Chanel scarf and faux-fur-lined parka. “She wanted to name me a Japanese name, so for me, she chose Yumi. Yu means elegance and mi means beauty.” A model who dots dozens of fashion runways from Givenchy and Miu Miu to Dior, Lambert is a far cry from bombshells like Doutzen Kroes and Adriana Lima. In fact, she put up with a certain amount of ridicule in school for her slim frame. “When I was a child, kids were always making fun of me,” says Lambert. “Even some people in my town that didn’t know me, would look at me and say, ‘There is Mikado!’ You know Mikado? It’s a biscuit [also known as Pocky] that is superthin and long with chocolate around it. That was my nickname in my hometown. Eventually, I couldn’t handle it anymore, I started researching on the Internet about modeling.” And now that she’s modeling for Victoria’s Secret? “I did the callback and when they told me I was confirmed, I was like, ‘Wow!’ I don’t think I really realize it still,” says Lambert. “I need to do it to believe it.” And after she takes the Victoria’s Secret runway by storm, we doubt anyone will still be calling Lambert names.


Grace Mahary
Hails from:
Canada
@gracemahary
There are few persons in the world who are as radiant in their aesthetic as they are in their personality, and  Grace Mahary is one of them. The 25-year-old fresh-faced Edmonton native comes bustling into the Vogue offices, beaming, as she talks about what she is going to get her brother for his birthday (a suit!). She’s such a natural on the catwalk that she’s easily mistaken for a runway veteran. “When did I start doing this crazy dance called modeling?” says Mahary. “We were in a mall and the agent found us, and I went back to Edmonton, and was like ‘I don’t know if I should do this, it’s a big move [to Toronto], but they have a great basketball program so I’m going to go there anyway.’ That’s how I started. I entered this contest and I won and just kept working in Toronto!” As for Victoria’s Secret? “I have had the opportunity to experience high fashion shows. This [Victoria’s Secret] is more expressive and you can actually showcase more of your personality. You can have more fun on the runway as opposed to normal fashion shows where it is more about the clothing. You get to do all the things you are not supposed to do on the high fashion runway!” And if there is any girl who is going to show her personality on the Victoria’s Secret runway, it’s Mahary.

 


Irina Sharipova
Hails from:
Born in Uzbekistan; grew up in the Republic of Tatarstan
@irinasharipova
Although she might have hit the genetic lottery with a look that resembles a hybrid of Adriana Lima and Natasha Poly, model Irina Sharipova holds her own. Born in Uzbekistan and raised in the Republic of Tatarstan, the leggy stunner arrives in the classic model-off-duty uniform: black-on-black, vertiginous heels, a biker jacket, and skinny leather pants. Though her smoldering Slavic appearance has scored her an exclusive with Givenchy, and has led her to walk shows for Chanel, Versace, and Sonia Rykiel, Sharipova’s fashion roots weren’t always in fashion, but in beauty—specifically, beauty competitions: Sharipova was crowned Miss Tatarstan in 2010. Shortly after, she went on to Paris to pursue modeling. “You just need to believe in yourself. So many people aren’t going to believe in you when you are young,” says Sharipova. “You have to be super strong to give people good energy, and then everyone will start believing in you.” And as for the Victoria’s Secret show? She’s has it on her mind since she was a kid strolling the grocery aisles back home in Tatarstan. “When I walked around in the supermarket, I’d see these advertisements, the beautiful pictures of Victoria’s Secret,” says Sharipova. “I said, ‘Okay, who are these beautiful women?’ And I searched on the Internet and I asked myself, ‘Why am I not there?’ Now, I’m just smiling because dreams come true all the time.”


Romee Strijd
Hails from:
The Netherlands
@romeestrijd
Although she is one of the many Dutch natives to appear in the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show (along with Doutzen Kroes, Maud Welzen, and Imaan Hammam), Romee Strijd stands out on her own. With a crown of lustrous blond hair, and legs for miles, Strijd has walked for DKNY, Rochas, and Alexander McQueen. But none of that convinced her she’d get this particular job. “There were so many girls already, and I thought, This isn’t going to happen,” says Strijd of her Victoria’s Secret casting experience. Though if she didn’t land the gig, she had a back-up plan. “I thought, I can quit working out and eating healthy! Then my agent wrote, ‘Congratulations!’” So much for a model’s junk food dreams. Then again, she admits, the Victoria’s Secret runway is one of the most fun ones in the business. “It’s more of a party than a serious show. You feel like you can do what you want on the catwalk,” says Strijd.
“You can smile or blow a kiss!”

Taylor Hill
Hails from:
Colorado
@taylor_hill
And then there’s the Victoria’s Secret model who was discovered in . . . a barn. That would be eighteen-year-old Taylor Hill, and well, not just any barn. “There is this dude ranch in Granby, Colorado that’s really beautiful and nice. We would ride horses there,” she says. “My agent, who is also a photographer, was doing a shoot while I was there that weekend. It was fate!” Although Hill looks like a bombshell version of doe-eyed Audrey Hepburn, like her fellow Victoria’s Secret model, Kelly Gale, things weren’t always easy for her growing up. “I hated high school. I was really tall and skinny. I have a weird personality when you get to know me, I was really shy because I was so tall and I had bad posture and was like ‘Hey guys!’” says Hill. “Then I started modeling and all of these people who didn’t talk to me started messaging me on Facebook, like, ‘Hey remember me?’ I thought, Yeah, I remember how mean you were to me!”





Imaan Hammam
Hails from:
The Netherlands
@hammamimaan
Although she may appear delicate, model Imaan Hammam, a runway star who landed her first Vogue cover early in her career, is a flourishing powerhouse to be reckoned with. Another feat she just crossed off her lifelong to-do list? The Amsterdam native (who is of Egyptian and Moroccan descent) is now one of the brightest newcomers to the Victoria’s Secret runway. “I almost cried when I found out!” says Hammam. “The Victoria’s Secret show was always on during New Year’s Eve. While my friends were playing with fireworks, I was waiting for the show to start!” This year, there’s no doubt in our minds that Hammam will be the one creating the fireworks on the catwalk.








No comments:

Post a Comment